Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Liking what we see.

Have you ever seen a baby light up when faced with his or her own reflection? Today, as Piper gave her own image a big juicy kiss, I got to thinking. Why can’t adults love what they see in the mirror, the way little babies and children do? At what point do we start criticizing ourselves, nitpicking at the flaws that often aren’t noticeable to anybody but us? When do we stop recognizing our unique and eternal beauty? 
 
I don’t remember when it started for me, but I have gotten pretty good at pinpointing what I don’t like about the way I look. My mouth is crooked. I have chubby cheeks and a horrible jaw line. My hair is frizzy, my skin is dull. On and on I go. 

But you know what? I am sick of looking at myself through a critical lens. I, like the rest of the human race, have divine potential and a beauty that doesn’t fade with acne, scars, age or any other mortal circumstance. Today, I’m going to take a cue from Piper. I’m going to smile at myself in the mirror. I’m going to be happy to see me. And maybe, just maybe, I’ll give my reflection a big wet kiss. I hope you will consider doing the same.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

what an awesome picture and thought. maybe that's why the scriptures tell us we should be like a little child!

Jenny Boo said...

That is such a good thought for a Wed morning. I love Piper's yellow stretchy pants, I want a pair.

Terry said...

Your mom has it right.

Give your reflection (and your SO NOT chubby cheeks) a big wet kiss from me too! LOL :)